Grade 10 Math Tutor
Tenth grade math delves deeper into complex mathematical concepts and introduces some new ones that rely very heavily on a comprehensive understanding of math taught in previous grades. As most teachers don’t have the time to revisit previously taught foundational math, it is imperative that your child have a sound mathematical foundation on which to build this year. Missing building blocks can be remedied by math tutoring to prevent your child from falling behind in this crucial year.
Our in-home tutors work with the local curriculum. In the tenth grade, students must master not only important mathematical concepts, but also the following academic skills:
- Problem solving.
- Reasoning skills to make mathematical conjectures, assess conjectures, and justify conclusions, and plan and construct organized mathematical arguments.
- Reflecting and monitoring their thinking to help clarify their understanding as they complete an investigation or solve a problem.
- Selecting tools and computational strategies to investigate mathematical ideas and to solve problems.
- Connecting: make connections among mathematical concepts and procedures, and relate mathematical ideas to situations or phenomena drawn from other contexts.
- Representing: create a variety of representations of mathematical ideas, connect and compare them, and select and apply the appropriate representations to solve problems.
- Communicate mathematical thinking orally, visually, and in writing, using mathematical vocabulary and a variety of appropriate representations, and observing mathematical conventions.
Jump To a Grade Level:
Grade 10 Math Sample Curriculum
Quadratic Relations of the Form y ax² = + bx + c
- Determine the basic properties of quadratic relations
- Relate transformations of the graph of y = x² to the algebraic representation y = a(x – h)² + k
- Solve quadratic equations and interpret the solutions with respect to the corresponding relations
- Identify characteristics of quadratic relations and manipulate algebraic expressions, as needed to understand quadratic relations
- Solve problems by interpreting graphs of quadratic relations
- Model and solve problems involving the intersection of two straight lines
- Solve problems using analytic geometry involving properties of lines and line segments
- Verify geometric properties of triangles and quadrilaterals, using analytic geometry
- Use their knowledge of ratio and proportion to investigate similar triangles and solve problems related to similarity
- Solve problems involving right triangles, using the primary trigonometric ratios and the Pythagorean Theorem
- Solve problems involving acute triangles, using the sine law and the cosine law
- Solve problems involving the surface areas and volumes of three-dimensional figures, and use the imperial and metric systems of measurement
Modelling Linear Relations
- Manipulate and solve algebraic equations, as needed to solve problems
- Graph a line and write the equation of a line from given information
- Solve systems of two linear equations, and solve related problems that arise from realistic situations